August 1, 2017
Medscape asked more than 8,500 U.S. physicians the following question regarding nine clinical conditions or procedures: "Suppose you or someone in your family were just diagnosed with a complex or difficult case of [condition]. Assuming there are no barriers to treatment at the hospital you prefer, what hospital would you choose for treatment?"
The physicians considered many factors, including the "medically respected expertise" of the hospitals and the hospitals' "reputation among colleagues."
The physicians ranked the following as the best hospitals for hip replacement:
1. Hospital for Special Surgery (New York City)
2. Mayo Clinic Hospital – Rochester (Minn.)
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. Rush University Medical Center (Chicago)
4. New England Baptist Hospital (Boston)
4. Johns Hopkins Hospital (Baltimore)
4. Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston)
8. Duke University Hospital (Durham, N.C.)
8. UCSF Medical Center (San Francisco)
8. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (Los Angeles)