Dr. Cole is a Professor in the Department of Orthopedics with a conjoint appointment in the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois. In 2015, he was appointed as an Associate-Chairman of the Department of Orthopedics at Rush. In 2011, he was appointed as Chairman of Surgery at Rush Oak Park Hospital. He is the Section Head of the Cartilage Research and Restoration Center at Rush specializing in the treatment of arthritis in young active patients with a focus on regenerative medicine and biologic alternatives to surgery. He also serves as the head of the Orthopedic Master’s Training Program and trains residents and fellows in sports medicine and research. He lectures nationally and internationally and holds several leadership positions in prominent sports medicine societies. Through his basic science and clinical research, he has developed several innovative techniques for the treatment of shoulder, elbow and knee conditions. He has published more than 1,000 articles and 10 widely read textbooks in orthopedics and regenerative medicine.
Dr. Cole is frequently chosen as one of the “Best Doctors in America” since 2004 and as a “Top Doctor” in the Chicago metro area since 2003. In 2006, he was featured on the cover of Chicago Magazine as “Chicago’s Top Doctor” and was selected as NBA Team Physician of the Year in 2009. Orthopedics This Week has named Dr. Cole as one of the top 20 sports medicine, knee and shoulder specialists repeatedly over the last 5 years as selected by his peers. He is the head team physician for the Chicago Bulls NBA team, co-team physician for the Chicago White Sox MLB team and DePaul University in Chicago.
Visit Dr. Cole's Website Curriculum Vitae
Shoulder, Elbow, and Knee Surgery
Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
Arthroscopic shoulder stabilization
Meniscal allograft transplantation
Cartilage cell transplantation
Fresh osteochondral allograft transplantation
Rotator cuff healing
Clinical Support Staff
- Valerie McKenzie (AA)
- Valerie Gamez (SEC)
- Katrin Cermeno (AA)
- Traci Jones (MA)
- Kyle Pilz (PA-C)
- Kaily Healy (PA-C)
- Paige Maher (PA-C)
Education / Certifications
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Hospital for Special Surgery - Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY - Orthopaedics
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA - Sports Medicine
In The News
- Division I Track Athlete Undergoes Cartilage Regrowth Treatment
- Dr. Brian Cole Honored with Distinguished Alumnus Award at Hospital for Special Surgery
- MOR Surgeons Among Those Recommended by Their Peers
- Dr. Brian Cole on a Physician's Intuition
- Dr. Brian Cole Provides Insight on Care Protocol for NBA Players
- Have You Wondered What Medicine and Surgery Will Look Like in the Future?
- MOR Physicians are Leading Presenters at AAOS Conference
- BullsTV Pre-Game Live with Head Team Physician Dr. Brian Cole
- Dr. Brian Cole Shares Insight on Athletes Returning from an ACL Tear
- Donate Life Month: Nurse Walks Again After Cartilage Donation
- The Young Athlete Is Not a Small Professional
- Dr. Brian Cole Using Allografts for Younger Patients with Knee Arthritis
- Chicago Bulls Radio Halftime: Dr. Brian Cole what it takes to be Team Physician
Patient responses are scored and represented on a 1-to-5 star scale, where 5 stars is a perfect score.
Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush (MOR) is committed to better understanding what patients think of our care, to help us continually improve the quality of our care.
MOR patients receive surveys via email to complete after certain types of office visits. Our survey is administered by an independent third party, Universal Research Solutions, LLC. This data encompasses patient feedback for physicians from the past year (where available).
The response options for the questions, except where otherwise indicated, are: