Originally from Chicago where he graduated valedictorian from Niles West High School, Dr. Cohen received his bachelor's degree from Stanford University, graduating with highest distinction and departmental honors. He then attended Harvard Medical School, where he graduated Magna Cum Laude with honors in a special field. After serving an orthopaedic residency at the University of California, San Diego, he completed a hand, upper extremity and microvascular fellowship at the Indiana Hand Center, one of the largest and prestigious hand centers in the country.
Dr. Cohen is the author of more than 129 medical articles, 57 book chapters and he has written a textbook on Hand and Wrist injuries. In addition, he is an editor of Green's Operative Hand Surgery, the most widely read and recognized Hand and Elbow Surgery textbook in the world. He has participated in over 315 continuing education courses where he has taught other doctors, serving as Course Chairman 49 times. For the last 25 years, he has been the Director of the Orthopaedic Hand and Elbow Section at Rush University, and he currently serves as the Director of Orthopaedic Education in the department. He has won several research, teaching and achievement awards and is a member of 16 national and international medical societies and associations.
Dr. Cohen was again selected one of Chicago's "Top Doctors" in Hand and Orthopaedic Surgery by Chicago Magazine in 2018. He was previously honored in this fashion in 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016, every year the "Top Doctors" edition has been published. U.S.News & World Report rates him in the top 1% of physicians in his specialty in the nation. Dr. Cohen was recently named the 2017 recipient of the Excellence in Clinical Service award by Rush University, which recognizes faculty who demonstrate continuous excellence in clinical care, leadership and scholarship.
His clinical and research interests focus on fractures and reconstruction of the hand, wrist and elbow with a special emphasis on minimally invasive surgery. Dr. Cohen has special training and expertise in complex elbow conditions including the throwing athlete (Tommy John surgery) and other sports related injuries.
Dr. Cohen is a team physician and consultant for the Chicago White Sox and the Chicago Bulls. In his free time, he enjoys tennis, cycling and in-line skating.
For more information about Dr. Cohen, visit http://orthodoc.aaos.org/markscohenmd.
Dr. Mark Cohen was voted among the top 1% of Top Doctors in America®by U.S.News & World Report and Castle Connolly. The Top Doctors list is widely regarded as a high-quality reference guide to the medical profession.
Wrist and elbow arthroscopy
Joint replacements for the elbow, wrist, and hand
Elbow injuries and reconstruction
Bone cement for wrist fractures
Elbow trauma and arthritis
Wrist ligament tears
Clinical Support Staff
- Bailey Dvorak (SEC)
- Whitney Woodbridge (PA)
- Dimpal Patel (PA)
- Jocelyn Lawhorn (NP)
Education / Certifications
Harvard Medical School
University of California San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA - Surgical Internship
University of California San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA - Orthopaedic Surgery
Indiana Hand Center, Indianapolis, IN - Hand, Upper Extremity and Microvascular Fellowship
Orthopaedic Surgery Hand Surgery
In The News
- Dr. Mark Cohen Discusses Tommy John Surgery
- Avoiding Slips and Falls During Winter Weather
- Six MOR Physicians named 'Top Doctors' by Chicago Magazine
- 2017 Elbow to Hand Symposium
- Dr. Mark S. Cohen Selected as Winner of 2016-17 Rush Excellence in Clinical Service Award
- Four Things to Know About MLB All-Star Mike Trout's Thumb Injury
- Dr. Mark Cohen Named Among Top 12 Leading North American Hand Physicians
- High School Baseball Pitch Count - Dr. Mark Cohen on ABC7
- Wadsworth, IL Sportsman Remains Active after Elbow Surgery
- MOR Physicians Caution Parents about Hoverboards
- Icy Weather Brings a Record Number of Hand, Wrist and Elbow Injuries
- Man's Best Friend and Hand Injuries
- Dr. Cohen Sheds Light on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Osteochondritis Dissecans in Gymnasts
- Tips on Avoiding Snow-Related Sport Injuries by Dr. Mark Cohen
- Dr. Cohen 'Aces' Treatment of Young Tennis Player with Elbow Overuse Injury
- Dr. Mark Cohen on Snowboarding Injury Prevention
- Dr. Mark Cohen Performs Tommy John surgery on Indiana State baseball player
- Dr. Mark Cohen of Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush to Perform Elbow Surgery on Top Prospect
Patient responses are scored and represented on a 1-to-5 star scale, where 5 stars is a perfect score.
Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush (MOR) is committed to better understanding what patients think of our care, to help us continually improve the quality of our care.
MOR patients receive surveys via email to complete after certain types of office visits. Our survey is administered by an independent third party, Universal Research Solutions, LLC. This data encompasses patient feedback for physicians from the past year (where available).
The response options for the questions, except where otherwise indicated, are: